Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Doctors, lawyer in IIM-C class

View Source

KOLKATA: When postgraduate classes start at the Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta, on June 23, there’s a surprise in store. Five doctors, a lawyer and a fashion designer are among those who have made it to the 2008 batch — and IIM-C old timers say that this is perhaps the first time that the institute has such a variety.

The five doctors feel being a manager would be more lucrative, what with the cushy working conditions and huge salaries that an IIM degree commands. But the lawyer and the fashion designer say they will stick to their core areas and feel the IIM education will enhance their potential and help them understand market dynamics.

Some of these doctors decided to quit the profession despite their parents being medics. Take the case of Rohan M Desai from Ahmedabad, whose father Mahadev is a famous orthopaedic surgeon and mother Beena an ophthalmologist. Again, Lav Kumar Beejal’s father Ramesh is not only an orthopaedic surgeon but also a teacher at the state general hospital at Jaipur, while Mudit Sharma’s father is a paediatrician at Lucknow.

“If I have to make a name for myself in the field of medicine, I would have to study for another 10 years before starting practice. Instead, an MBA degree will immediately get me a neat salary and great working conditions. I know that people will ask me why I wasted my time studying medicine. But the same applies to those multitudes of engineers who have been chucking their core training to become MBAs,” said Mudit, who earned his MBBS in 2007.

Another doctor, Balkrishna, feels that in the field of medicine one just “mugs textbooks”. “Not my kind of job,” Balkrishna says.

Dinesh Rizhwani, who notched up a 99.9 percentile score in CAT, also got his MBBS in 2007. He feels an MBA degree would help him specialize in healthcare management and would prepare him for an administrator’s job in a big hospital chain.

“Instead of treating patients I want to get into strategy planning in order to make international-standard healthcare competitively priced to suit the common man,” Rizhwani said. Dr Rohan Desai says he wants to get into rural healthcare management, which will be “the next big thing to happen in the country”.

For Gaurav Dayal, who has just passed out of National Law School, the two-year IIM-C stint would help him get into bigger law firms. “In this age of mergers and acquisitions, law firms works in tandem with bankers. If I have additional knowledge in finance, it would boost my market value,” Dayal said.

Similarly, Sulakshana S, a fashion designer who has worked with several boutiques in Mumbai, feels all this while her ideas would often get overruled to accommodate those who worked in the area of finance and marketing. “With an MBA degree, I would be able to overcome that shortcoming. I would also be able to start my own chain of branded fashion apparel stores,” she added.

No comments:

Post a Comment